MESSAGE BY THE VICE CHANCELLOR
On behalf of the community of students and staff at the Government College University, Lahore, I welcome you warmly to our web pages. Since its inception in 1864, the GCU Lahore has been one of the leading educational institutions in South Asia. We are honoured that the spiritual father of our nation, Allama Muhammad Iqbal, is an alumnus of the GCU Lahore, and proud that two Nobel laureates, Har Gobind Khorana and Abdus Salam, are also amongst our past colleagues. Our students, young and old, have been contributing strongly to the shaping and development of Pakistan’s society and culture.
For the last 156 years, we have pursued, nurtured and celebrated excellence in a wide variety of disciplines. It is no coincidence that our motto “Courage to Know” is a call to students and staff members alike to realize their fullest potential and the University’s mission.
Indeed, there is a lot to be proud of in our achievements – yet, there is little time to rest on these laurels. The strategic need is to develop the potential of the GCU staff to maximize our contributions to the GCU and to the rest of society. I have identified the following goals for my tenure as the Vice Chancellor of this prestigious institution:
- Improving the quality of education to our youth as part of our contribution towards the country-wide social investment currently underway. Aligned with this goal, we will enhance opportunities for girls to get the education in this prestigious institution, by opening the intermediate admissions for them.
- Strengthening our research and innovation base and linkages to the policy-making communities and in the process becoming a leading institution of applied research. As an example, we are establishing a new Centre of Excellence at the GCU, Lahore namely the Social Policy Advisory Council (SPAC).
- Promoting the University links to the national and local level industries, especially by setting up a new school for Software Engineering, as well as extending our international collaborations;
- Modernizing the state of university governance and infrastructure by improving processes of admissions, appointments and promotions. Our immediate challenges include populating the newly built campus at the Kala Shah Kaku, enhancing the quality of living experiences of students and staff by building a new hostel for girls and improving the living conditions of our existing hostels.
- Also, maintaining the strong traditions of sports, cultural and co-curricular activities through our societies and clubs for effective engagement of students on our campuses.
In my first address to colleagues at the GCU in October 2019, I have pledged to initiate the changes necessary for these goals, with the ultimate aim of restoring this University to a place amongst the highest ranked universities. I believe in our ability to rise to these challenges, and so lift up the profile of the Government College University to its rightful place
Generations of students, staff and alumni like yourself have added on to the repertoire of our great institution, and I am confident that Ravians will carry on this tradition to the glory of their Alma Mater and our country.
I look forward to working alongside you in serving this great institution and our homeland.
Meet The Team
Mr. Ghulam Shabir Tabassum
Personal Assistant to Vice Chancellor.
+92(42) 111-000-010 Ext:(203)