Department of Fine Arts started in early sixties by the Prof. Aslam Minhas. Prof. Aslam Minhas taught at Government College Lahore from 1960 to 1994. GCU is devoted to excellence and innovation in Visual Arts, Media Arts and Design. Fine Art Department emphasis on both technical instructions with latest equipped studios and creative thoughts. The first batch of students at Government College Lahore comprised of Dr. Ajaz Anwar and Sufi Waqar. Ever since Government College Lahore have produced many prominent artists of National and International level. In July 2000 Mr. Erfan Ullah Babar, a young and energetic man joined Government College Lahore as a lecturer in Fine Arts. In recognition of Erfan Ullah Babar’s qualifications and vision, he was made the 1st Chairperson of the Fine Arts Department. Honoring Mr. Minhas contribution in laying a strong foundation of the Fine Arts Department at GC University Lahore, Former Vice Chancellor of GC University approved the establishment of an Art Gallery at GCU in his name. The Minhas Art Gallery was inaugurated by the Mrs. Azra Minhas, the widow of Prof. Aslam Minhas on October 30, 2006. The first painting exhibition at Minhas Art Gallery was of the paintings of Prof. Aslam Minhas which were gathered, reframed and reproduced with great efforts. Ever since Minhas Art Gallery houses the Art work of different artists from time to time which is visited by 100’s of Art lovers from all over Pakistan.
The Department of Fine Arts facilitates students in following manner:
- There is an internal I departmental library comprising of numbers of valuable books National and International Authors.
- The Drawing Studio is created in the department for the students to facilitate them.
- The department has an art gallery named Minhas Art Gallery in which the work of renowned and emerging artists is displayed.
- Short Course in Drawing
- Short course in Painting
Fine Arts Department has the following societies which are playing effective part for the students:
Fine Arts Society
The fine arts society has more than 200 members and it regularly arranges hobby classes, annual fine arts competitions and exhibition of works by the students of GCU. This competition takes place of intercollegiate level.
The photographic club arranges the classes, events, photo-walks etc. for the students of GCU.
Minhas Art Gallery
A permanent venue for art activities.
- ACADEMIC PROGRAMMES
- EligibilitBFA (Graphic Design) 4-YEARS PROFESSIONAL PROGRAM
- Eligibility Requirements
The Department of Fine Arts offered the subject of Fine Art sat Intermediate (FA) level and BA level (as an allied subject) with History & Psychology major. BFA (Graphic Design) 4 Years Professional Programmes.
BA (Hons) As Allied Subject
- a. History Combination
- b. Psychology Combination
- BFA 4 Years Professional Programme
Department of Fine Arts, GCU Lahore offers BFA (Graphic Design) Four Years Professional Program after Intermediate level consists of 8 semesters. BFA Graphic Design is a rigorous, professional program stressing concept development and visual communication skills necessary to prepare content and imagery for Print, Multimedia and the Web. Students gain a comprehensive understanding of the discipline and a portfolio of work to begin a career in the graphic design industry.
Some of our objectives include:
To promote a learner-centered environment focused on the Arts and Design and to facilitate the development of an environment of creative engagement, modernism and professionalism; To produce professional designers for printing & electronic industries as well as market.
To produce skilled and professional creative teachers for educational institutions.
To generate the revenue for the University.
- The applicant should have obtained at least 60% marks in Intermediate or Diploma of Associate Engineers/BTech. (Pass) in Electrical or Electronics or Instrument Technology/ Telecom / Avionics / IT / Precision Mechanical & Instrument / Radar Technology / Radio Technology / Automation / Instrumentation Process Control.
- The applicant must have passed the entry test for admission to engineering institutions, arranged by the University of Engineering and Technology, Lahore, for the academic session to which the applicant is seeking admission.
- The applicant should not have 3rd division throughout his/her academic career.
- The applicant (male/female) seeking admission to BFA (Graphic Design) programme must have passed his/her intermediate with at least 45% marks or A’level/12 grade or equivalent.
- Admission will be strictly made on merit. the merit shall be determined on the basis of overall marks, test and interview.
|Course Code||Course Title||Credit Hours|
|FA-1101||History of Muslim Paintings and Architecture (for students of History)||2|
|FA-1101P||History of Muslim Paintings and Architecture (for students of History)||1|
|FA-1102||Art Appreciation (for students of Psychology)||2|
|FA-1102P||Art Appreciation (for students of Psychology)||1|
|FA-1201||History of Art (Indo Pak) (for students of History)||2|
|FA-1201P||History of Art (Indo Pak) (for students of History)||1|
|FA-1202||Analysis of the Medium of Art (for students of Psychology)||2|
|FA-1202P||Analysis of the Medium of Art (for students of Psychology)||1|
Prof. Dr. Erfan Ullah Babar
PhD, MPhil (PU),
M.A (Gold Medalist)
Amna Anwaar Khan
Tahir Ali Sadiq
Haji Sharif Award
Ali Raza Peerzada
M.A (BNU) Distinction
Yasir Javed Doger
Yasir Javed Doger