Career Guidance & Placement Center
The Career Guidance & Placement Center of GC University Lahore was established in 2002 with aims to work for the enhancement and development of students in terms of academic and scholarly endeavors. It also strives for the placement pursuits of students. The purpose of the center is to provide up-dated and advanced information to the students for their academic and professional development. It also helps the students to make appropriate choices at the right moment and develop insight for appropriate decisions. The Career Guidance and Placement Center (CG&PC) office is led by a trained and full time Clinical Psychologist aims at providing assistance and guidance to the students for helping them in making their career choices, academic planning and to explore future professions and placement opportunities based on their personal needs and current opportunities.
Career Guidance Center provides an extensive set of services focused on assisting students, in the career planning process. These services aid the comprehensive identification and promotion of the expertise and values that GCU students acquire from the academic environment.
The Career Guidance Center offers counseling to students to help them identify talents, interests and values in making educated career choices. We conduct workshops and presentations on various topics (interview techniques, career expectations etc) strengthening students’ skills to better respond to the demands. Student Counselor’s career guidance system designed to examine interests, self-rate abilities, evaluate experiences, and prioritize values in order to identify compatible occupations. We try to help students discover career planning by organizing information about oneself and occupations, providing ways to bring this information together to make good decisions. This system also has a complete database of Career Counseling related areas. The Career Center provides information about graduate and postgraduate academic programs, subjects selection, subjects descriptions, career profiles etc.
- Assists students with jobs, college applications, and scholarships
- Uses achievement and aptitude tests to help students evaluate their skills, interests and abilities
- Helps students learn new job skills including: networking, resume writing and interviewing
- Evaluates the students’ educational background and help them develop realistic goals
- Trains students in resume writing and help them locate foreign scholarships and jobs abroad
- Helps students make achievable career goals
- Advises students to resolve problems and issues in the workplaces
- To help students make appropriate and realistic career choices and career direction.
- To guide students to develop their academic career interests in line with their short or long term goals.
- To manage and give information regarding scholarships.
- To look for the range of career profiles for students’.
- To help students prepare for interview and develop their communication skills
- To organize various activities such as seminars / workshops / lectures / trainings etc.
Stage 1: Insight
This is the fundamental preparation which should be undertaken prior to making a decision about students’ career and personal development. It enables to address the questions ‘who am I?’ and ‘what do I want?’ It may include the use of tests, questionnaires and self-appraisal exercises to help in addressing students’:
- Skills (what am I good at?)
- Aptitudes (what am I capable of?)
- Interests (what am I motivated to do?)
- Values (what is most important to me?)
- Personality (what work roles and environments would suit me?)
- Career Drivers’ (what are my key career needs?)
- ‘Past Positives’ (what activities & environments enable me to thrive?)
Further exercises will enable Student Counselor to clarify these results, leading to the creation of a ‘Career Template’, a summary of those key elements a student must have in his/her career life. This is the point student will reach by the end of Stage 1: Insight.
Stage 2: Planning
With the increased clarity and confidence which Stage 1 can provide, student will be in the best possible frame of mind to brainstorm ideas for his/her future. Student Counselor will help you to narrow down your list, and to produce a focused, realistic and step-by-step action plan.
Stage 3: Action
Stage 3 consists of a number of modules. You can take one or more of these modules immediately following Stages 1 and 2.
EducationUSA at USEFP has organized the following sessions next week for students interested in pursuing for master’s and PhD studies in U.S.
Session on EdUSA 5 steps & university search
Session on resume & essay writing
Session on graduate funding
Session on PhD studies in USA
Confidentiality is very important part of counseling service. I do not reveal the names of my clients to anyone & no one will know if you are using the Student Counseling Service.
- Appointments are available from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. weekdays. (Friday 9.00 a.m. to 11.45 a.m)
- Students have to visit the counseling service to make an appointment.
- Appointments may be fitted into any gaps in your academic timetable.
- Keeping appointments and being on time is part of the personal commitment to counseling you must make.
- If, due to an illness or a rare emergency, you are unable to keep your appointment, you should contact me and cancel the appointment as far in advance as possible.
This Office provides different facilities like Career Resource Library, Computer LAB, Seminar Room and Symposium Hall.
The CG&PC office is located at the Ist Floor of the Student Service Centre adjacent to the Main Cafeteria.
Placement Officer (CG&PC)
1st FLoor, Student Service Centre
Katchery Road, Lahore-Pakistan.
UAN: 042-111 000 010 Ext: 421